Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Whole -- Whole Foods Experience

Today, I woke up bright and early.

I arranged for my brother to watch my children

I was at The Whole Foods in Madison, NJ 2 minutes before the automatic door opened.



First Impression:

Whole Foods was tidy and great pains were taken to lay out the fresh produce in an appealing and easy to access manner. The aisles were divided down the middle by an Aisle that cut most of the store in half, this was handy, since it turns out that the aisles nearest the front of the store didn't have anything I would ever purchase. (well, not at Whole Foods anyway)



The Prices:

While I didn't think the prices were extravagant... they were higher than Trader Joes, but Much less than The Health Food Shoppe. Like I said, I didn't see any outrageous prices for the items I purchase regularly and there were a number of 2/5.00 price discounts. I was very very very pleasantly surprised that they were WELL STOCKED in all manner of gluten and wheat free products. From Cheese crackers (actually rice) to Frozen Pizza (as you know, a good frozen pizza is worth it's weight in gold!) And still.... I walked out with 8 bags of groceries and paid $300.00. AND I didn't purchase any meat. yup... that's right... Thankfully I live near Costco (smile)



I have to say this. I think The Whole Foods has gotten a bad rep... and the rep I heard... was bad.



Do you want to know what I heard?



I heard Whole Foods was over-priced and pretentious and that only the hoity toity or those aspiring to hoity toity-ness shopped at The Whole Foods.



Here's the low down.



#1) I got there when they opened on Saturday... The Real Hoity Toity... aren't up at 8:00am The people that were shopping that early (and there were about 3 people shopping that early) were busy shopping.



#2) 3 different whole foods employees asked if I need help finding something, it was pleasantly refreshing... These employees weren't "assigned" to me... or standing at a courtesy counter waiting for me to come up with a question... they were just walking by and saw me studying the shelves... and ... guess what... they thought they could help.



#3) The manager, I am guessing a manager because he opened the door at 8:00 and knew a bunch about some of the other locations... took the time to mention to me that the wine I was purchasing couldnt' be "bought" until 9:00, because in Madison on Saturday, that's the law. No liquor earlier than 9:00am... he went on to mention that some of the other Whole Foods are governed by the town in which they reside.



So you see... the rep... which had kept me from going to Whole Foods was decidedly undeserved... again, I must say... that I was grocery shopping at the "crack of dawn" for for most people.

No comments:

How to Start a Freelance Career

Work at Home and Earn an Excellent Income

Imagine being able to work from your own home, doing a job you love, and getting paid handsomely for doing it. Wouldn't that be great?

Well, the good news is that this is not just a fantasy. It is a prospect that is well within your reach. Today, millions of people worldwide have established highly-successful careers as freelance professionals. Writers, designers, programmers and many other home-based consultants have discovered that freelancing offers the perfect combination of freedom, creativity, flexibility and profitability.

So do you need years of experience and fantastic qualifications to join these lucky people? Not at all. You just need a skill that you can offer to potential clients, and the willingness to learn how to run a home-based business.

Of course, the biggest challenge for new freelancers is finding enough work to justify giving up a day job. How can you be sure that you will keep yourself busy with lucrative work? This used to be a concern, but thanks to the advent of the Internet, things are now much easier.

Now there are a number of job sites dedicated to helping freelancers find work and stay busy. Freelance Work Exchange, for example, brings you hundreds of fresh freelance jobs like these:

Write for Discussion Boards: $1200 per week, plus bonus
A writer is needed for an ongoing writing project. You will need to write copy to stimulate others into joining the discussion board. The writer needs to actively encourage regular and meaningful debate on the relevant discussion board, with some moderating of the content. You must have solid writing skills and good ideas.

Administer a Web Business from Home: $4000 per month
A successful e-commerce venture is seeking a part-time virtual assistant to act as a home-based office manager. You will deal with email correspondence, update site content and deal with general admin issues. You should have your own computer and Internet access.

Transcribe Author's Notes: $80 per hour, flexible working
A publishing company is seeking a freelance with an eye for detail to transcribe authors' notes and recordings for a range of ongoing projects. You must have a good grasp of English, be able to edit content into readable form, and be able to submit work from home by email.

You can sign up for a trial subscription for just $2.95, and get instant access to all the projects in the jobs database. So if you would like to get started on the road to freelance success right now, click here to sign up today.