Monday, August 11, 2008

Finding A New Pediatrician - It Ain't Easy

Seven years ago, I had my first daughter.

I asked my Ob-Gyn for suggests for a pediatrician, I asked my friends, neighbors and local relatives. It all seemed very simple. I met the Dr., in the hospital (as he was the head of pediatrics) and he checked in on me and my children after they were born..(and following two daughters) and life was great and easy.

Here's what I liked:
1) I knew if I called because a child was sick, the office would call back and fit me in that day.
2) I knew if I called to speak to the Dr., he would call me back
3) He had Saturday hours
4) If he was on vacation, he arranged for another Dr. to cover and his answering machine referred calls to the other on-call Dr.
5) He was friendly and the kids liked him.
6) He really knew the kids. He recognized them, he remembered things about them.

Here's what I didn't like:
1) He was constantly scheduling followup calls... I was in the Dr' s office... A LOT

Then we moved.
I spoke to several people and got several referrals, only one of the Dr.'s actually took our insurance. This particular Dr. was a referral from a nurse friend of mine, and I trusted her opinion and made the switch.

Here's what I like:
1) The kids like him
2) He takes the time to explain everything and speaks directly to the kids

Here's what I don't like:
1) If I call the office and leave a message on the voice mail, I have a 50/50 chance of getting a return call
2) They can not always fit my sick child in, on the day I call... on one occasion I waited 2 days
3) They are "on call" on Saturday, but do not have weekend office hours

So, I went a looking for a new Dr.

The Gauntlet.... My Three Questions - in the order they were asked.

#1) Do you take my insurance.
#2) Do you have weekend hours
#3) Can I set up an appointment to meet the Dr's before I have all of the information sent over.

First, I called the Dr's that I got from my new friends and neighbors... Not one took my insurance. (Which was interesting, because it's the insurance provided by the State of NJ to state employees... )

So, off I went to the Insurance Website.
Since the offices were right off the website, I was able to just confirm question number one. Now here is the shocker.

ALL of the offices I called (except 1) had no weekend hours. ALL. When I asked what we were supposed to do if our children get sick on the weekend, the receptionists said... "take them to the emergency room". what?

NOT ONE of the offices I called would set up a "meet and greet" appointment. Every single one said, since my girls had had their yearly physical and vaccinations, I could just collect their records, and wait until they get sick. ALL OF THEM! Not a single pediatricians office was willing to let to meet us before someone was sick.

Can you imagine?

These are children not cats. I mean... I practically got better service at the Vet when we got a new Dog.

Oh, I am frustrated

Dear Dr. Pediatrician whom I have never met.

Your office staff is rude and uncaring, which makes me think you are too.

I understand, how answering the phone; speaking to people with sick kids all day can be draining and tiring... and maybe not everyone is as much of an emergency as they think.... So, I can understand why your office staff may have bad days, but your staff treats me like I'm bothering them.
Your staff gives me the impression that you are too important and busy to worry about whether my kids and I will like you for a new Dr. AND have conveyed in no uncertain terms that you do not need us for patients and therefore we should just be glad you take our insurance.

I mean... HONESTLY, I can't tell you how many times in my quest for a new pediatrician I felt like I was inconveniencing the office staff. They definitely made me fell that they were very busy and more pressing matters to address... AND the physicians apparently are too busy to meet with me... AND on at least one occasion I was actually told, "We don't solicit new patients"

Solicit new patients? Again, I say.... THESE ARE NOT STRAY CATS. THESE ARE MY CHILDREN. One of which has a potentially life threatening illness (asthma) and you can't find 30 minutes where the Dr. can meet me, my kids take a look at them healthy so that he/she has a idea of what they look like, sound like when they are healthy?

Well, back to my search.

There was one pediatricians office that takes my insurance, that has Saturday hours and several Dr's so someone is always available. However, since my kids have all had their yearly physical... I have to wait until someone gets sick, then call for an appointment.

Can you believe that?

Look. I'm not asking for a Dr. or office staff that loves my children. All I would hope for is a group of people dedicated to helping me raise them healthy. It seems like common sense, that A) It would be nice if the kids were comfortable with the Dr. and staff .... and B) the Dr. had some idea of what they looked like and sounded like when they were healthy.

And so... I say... If you are moving to a new city, new town... Finding a brace yourself for the search for a new Pediatrician.

1 comment:

Wandering Guy said...

Hi,

A good post on Working Moms Blog. We are VA4World a virtual assistant firm who provide admin support service for SME’s all over the world. We would like to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Sridhar – VA4World for viral marketing, SEO and admin support

How to Start a Freelance Career

Work at Home and Earn an Excellent Income

Imagine being able to work from your own home, doing a job you love, and getting paid handsomely for doing it. Wouldn't that be great?

Well, the good news is that this is not just a fantasy. It is a prospect that is well within your reach. Today, millions of people worldwide have established highly-successful careers as freelance professionals. Writers, designers, programmers and many other home-based consultants have discovered that freelancing offers the perfect combination of freedom, creativity, flexibility and profitability.

So do you need years of experience and fantastic qualifications to join these lucky people? Not at all. You just need a skill that you can offer to potential clients, and the willingness to learn how to run a home-based business.

Of course, the biggest challenge for new freelancers is finding enough work to justify giving up a day job. How can you be sure that you will keep yourself busy with lucrative work? This used to be a concern, but thanks to the advent of the Internet, things are now much easier.

Now there are a number of job sites dedicated to helping freelancers find work and stay busy. Freelance Work Exchange, for example, brings you hundreds of fresh freelance jobs like these:

Write for Discussion Boards: $1200 per week, plus bonus
A writer is needed for an ongoing writing project. You will need to write copy to stimulate others into joining the discussion board. The writer needs to actively encourage regular and meaningful debate on the relevant discussion board, with some moderating of the content. You must have solid writing skills and good ideas.

Administer a Web Business from Home: $4000 per month
A successful e-commerce venture is seeking a part-time virtual assistant to act as a home-based office manager. You will deal with email correspondence, update site content and deal with general admin issues. You should have your own computer and Internet access.

Transcribe Author's Notes: $80 per hour, flexible working
A publishing company is seeking a freelance with an eye for detail to transcribe authors' notes and recordings for a range of ongoing projects. You must have a good grasp of English, be able to edit content into readable form, and be able to submit work from home by email.

You can sign up for a trial subscription for just $2.95, and get instant access to all the projects in the jobs database. So if you would like to get started on the road to freelance success right now, click here to sign up today.