Saturday, August 16, 2008

My Love Affair with Office 2007 is OVER

Nothing
Nothing
NOTHING will end a love affair with a software package quicker then that application "Doin you wrong." And Office 2007 - the whole kit and kaboodle- done done me wrong friends.

One day I'm loving life, foot loose and fancy free.... Training clients on the new Office 2007 features, my excitement barely concealed as I display Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint on the big screen... Mousing over the Fluent User Interface (the ribbon) activating the Contextual Tabs, warning against common pitfalls and chiding users for not taking advantage of some of the features from previous versions.

and then

and then

it happened

my .docx imploded

I'm not sure how, but I left for work with 5 perfectly good documents saved to my harddrive, and returned that evening to find 4 of 5 corrupt and unopenable.

OH yes friends, I used the "open and repair" function... which caused me pause as it is so conveniently located on the "open" drop down in the Open Dialog box. (almost as if they knew that you would be needing this feature... and needing it often)

OH yes friends, I attempted to convert the file from .docx to .doc using an online conversion provider... sob..... it didn't work, I got a blank page

OH OH OH Friends... it is sad sad sad.... especially since the documents that I can not open.................................. are ........................................ the training handouts I use for the office 2007 training sessions that I am currently running.

Oh woe is me.... to be lulled into a false sense of security by this vagabond software, this willy nilly corrupting set of productivity applications.... NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will NOT go quietly into the night!

...sigh....

So..... sniff sniff........ first I'm going to recreate the training material.... sob... hiccup ... then I will write Bill Gates. WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2 comments:

Alex said...

I heard about not bad application-Repair docx, allows you to effectively remover text from any corrupted Microsoft Word document or template or any document of the Rich Text format, recovering information from corrupted documents in it is designed in such a way that any user, including those who only start working with the computer, can do it.

Mom Blogger said...

Thanks for the info...
I can't explain it, but here's how I resolved the problem... Believe it or not, I simply emailed the documents to someone else. They were able to open them in word and save them as 2000-2003 doc.

Very strange, since I attempted the same from my Home PC, and my Work PC to no avail... but someone else was able to do it.

ALSO, strange, since I was using master document/sub documents and hyperlinks were not maintained in the document that my co-worker opened and saved...

No matter... I brought up my lovely little documents, converted to PDF... and am done.

I have scheduled my PC for an overhaul which will include reinstalling the Office 2007 (which I have fallen deeply and regretably back in love with)

OH... and I used a tool similar to the tool you noted and it returned the repaired documents... and they were all blank.

strange.

How to Start a Freelance Career

Work at Home and Earn an Excellent Income

Imagine being able to work from your own home, doing a job you love, and getting paid handsomely for doing it. Wouldn't that be great?

Well, the good news is that this is not just a fantasy. It is a prospect that is well within your reach. Today, millions of people worldwide have established highly-successful careers as freelance professionals. Writers, designers, programmers and many other home-based consultants have discovered that freelancing offers the perfect combination of freedom, creativity, flexibility and profitability.

So do you need years of experience and fantastic qualifications to join these lucky people? Not at all. You just need a skill that you can offer to potential clients, and the willingness to learn how to run a home-based business.

Of course, the biggest challenge for new freelancers is finding enough work to justify giving up a day job. How can you be sure that you will keep yourself busy with lucrative work? This used to be a concern, but thanks to the advent of the Internet, things are now much easier.

Now there are a number of job sites dedicated to helping freelancers find work and stay busy. Freelance Work Exchange, for example, brings you hundreds of fresh freelance jobs like these:

Write for Discussion Boards: $1200 per week, plus bonus
A writer is needed for an ongoing writing project. You will need to write copy to stimulate others into joining the discussion board. The writer needs to actively encourage regular and meaningful debate on the relevant discussion board, with some moderating of the content. You must have solid writing skills and good ideas.

Administer a Web Business from Home: $4000 per month
A successful e-commerce venture is seeking a part-time virtual assistant to act as a home-based office manager. You will deal with email correspondence, update site content and deal with general admin issues. You should have your own computer and Internet access.

Transcribe Author's Notes: $80 per hour, flexible working
A publishing company is seeking a freelance with an eye for detail to transcribe authors' notes and recordings for a range of ongoing projects. You must have a good grasp of English, be able to edit content into readable form, and be able to submit work from home by email.

You can sign up for a trial subscription for just $2.95, and get instant access to all the projects in the jobs database. So if you would like to get started on the road to freelance success right now, click here to sign up today.